Please note the following PPU events taking place in the coming year.
AGM, Monday 16th May
Tag Rugby Event, Thursday 19th May
Annual Table Quiz, Friday 20th May
The Glenside Pub, Churchtown
Golf & Dinner, Friday 1st July
Rathfarnham Golf Club
Annual Dinner, Friday 18th November
Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club
London Re-Union, Saturday 18th February
Guoman Tower Hotel, London
As my term as President 2015/16 of Wesley College Past Pupils Union(PPU) draws to a close I feel deeply honoured to have been given this special position. It has been a year of challenges and fulfilment.
My three Sisters and I were educated in Wesley College. Ruth(Henderson) class of ’68 the eldest sadly passed away in April 2015. As a member of the class of 1973 I was delighted to share this year’s dinner with such a large number of that year’s class. Three of our children were also educated in Wesley College, the last left in 2013.
The College, and in particular Principal Chris Woods, have been hugely supportive of our Union and we could not succeed without such invaluable support. The success is also due to the hard working Executive Committee and Trustees who worked year round. As David Philips class of ‘68 retires as Hon.Treasurer of the PPU we would like to thank him ever so much for all of his excellent work over the last 4 years for the Union. David will continue as a much valued photographer at our events.
The past year saw the usual variety of very successful events:
- Our Annual Golf Outing & Dinner was held in June at Rathfarnham Golf Club. Sincere thanks to Melanie Lawlor and Rodney Evans both class of ‘69 for all their hard work and congratulations to Shirley Holmes(nee Jolly) class of ‘74 who won the Presidents Prize. We also submitted a team in the Associated Schools Union (ASU) Golf outing, winning individual prizes through David Holmes class of ’70 and Alex Burns class of ’55.
- In November we held our Annual Dinner at Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club formerly Epworth Hall. Our guest speaker was Gerry Duffy and a large attendance contributed a substantial donation to the Bursary Fund. A highlight of the dinner was the presentation by Helen Sheridan of her late Father’s Good Conduct medal. Helen’s father was Eric Craven and in 1943 captained the Senior Rugby team.
- The Annual Lunch Reunion Weekend in London was held in the Guoman Tower Hotel in February. Principal Chris Woods updated us on recent College events and the various planned 1916 commemorations. The highlight for me was meeting 87 year old Beatrice Homan and hearing her memories of Wesley in a bye gone age. Located beside the Tower of London the Hotel was an ideal location which enabled many to attend Sunday Service at the nearby Chapel Royal arranged by Mark Williams class of ‘73.
- Most Past Pupils Unions value the networking carried out throughout the year by attending each other’s Annual Dinners. Much valuable information is derived from such occasions and ensures our Union is kept up to date with best practice. While at Methodist College Belfast Dinner we were able to attend the rugby match between Old Wesley Seniors captained by Ian Cassidy class of ’09 and Harlequins. At the 117th Annual Dinner of Blackrock College Union, I was the only Lady President in attendance. We were represented at the 10 year reunion of the class of 2005 organised by Vicky Shekelton in December 2015. Jamie Crawford class of ’98 and CEO of Spin Radio will speak to the 6th form students after assembly in May and encourage them to ‘Stay Connected’ with the PPU.
Other networking aspects of the year included securing advertising on our website, hopefully entering a Past Pupils Team at the I.R.F.U. Tag Rugby event in Donnybrook Stadium commencing May 19th 2016 with David Bursey year of ‘85(email@example.com 086 2721759. Visits to various Past Pupils in their residences, nursing homes and to churches around the connexion in the Dublin region, Gorey Co. Wexford and in Bandon Co. Cork. The Union offered sympathy to those of our members who have been bereaved during the year.
We were also represented at the College play-Sweeney Todd, the Senior Carol Service and the Spirit of Transition Award presented by the PPU and awarded to 5th Year student Jenny Clarke at Prize night and the Art and Sports Award Evening.
- On the sporting front Josh van de Flier class of ‘11 achieved his first International Rugby cap. In hockey also, three Wesley Past Pupils were part of the Irish Hockey International Team which qualified for the Olympic Games in Rio 2016, Mich Darling class of ‘06, Kyle Good class of ‘10 and Kirk Shimmins class of ‘13. Carol Metchette class of ‘83 retired this year having completed over 100 International matches as a Senior International Hockey Umpire and she is officiating at the Olympic Games in Rio this year.
Please note our Annual Table Quiz will take place at The Glenside Pub, Churchtown on Friday 20th May at 7.30pm with Cllr. Neale Richmond class of ‘01 as our Quiz Master. We look forward to seeing many of you at this event after the AGM on the 16th May 2016.
In conclusion I would like to wish my successor Simon Grier every success in the coming year as President 2016/17.